Friday, May 6, 2011

Weave a Basket Tutorial - the Simple Way


This weave a basket tutorial isn't all that complicated. In fact, it just looks woven, but it's not in the traditional sense. Plus, it's a box, not a basket. :) In fact, the above woven basket started out as a Ramen noodle box; you know, the big box that has a dozen of the package noodles.

I took pictures for this tutorial using various size boxes, such as


Get two coordinating fabrics and cut them into long strips. The length of the strips will depend upon how long your box is around, and how long it is wrapping the strips from the top of one side, around the bottom, and up the opposite side. The strips you use for going around should all be the same fabric, while the strips going down, around the bottom and back up the top should be of the second fabric.

Glue each strip along the top and hold in place with clothespins.

Then go all the way around the box to the opposite side, gluing the opposite end. Make sure you do it somewhat loosely, since you'll be weaving the other strips of fabric in and out in the next step.

For the fabric strips that you'll be weaving around the box, put some glue on one end, and fold it in a bit, like this.

Then put that glued end underneath one of the strips at the top of your box and start going around, weaving in and out of the fabric strips already there.


A note about the bottom: I also did the in and out weaving on the bottom as well. I turned one a bit so you could see how I was weaving.



I tried it with some braided jeans, but I'm just kinda meh about that box. I knew that the braiding wouldn't be tight, so some of the box would show through. Because of that, I glued some jeans fabric onto the box, then started gluing the braided strips.



The braids are just too unwieldy since they're thicker, so they're too loose.


I might get some strips of jeans and weave them in and out of the braiding. I'm not sure yet.

At any rate, glue coordinating material on the inside of the box, and you're finished!


Linking up to these great link parties:
Along for the Ride
At Home with K
Be Different Act Normal
Cherished Treasures
Coastal Charm
Craft Goodies
Craftomaniac
Crafts Keep Me Sane
Crafty Geordi
Creation Corner
Dittle Dattle
Elements Interiors
Flamingo Toes
Freckled Laundry
The Frugal Girls
The Girl Creative
Green Door Designs
I Heart Naptime
It's a Crafty Life
Krafty Kat
Lil Luna
Making the World Cuter
Me Making Do
Me 'n My Thrifty Ideas
Night Owl Crafting
Pinkopotamus
Run with Glitter
Santa's Gift Shoppe
Sarahndipities
Sew Much Ado
Simply Sweet Home
Spunky Junky
The Stories of A 2 Z
Sugar Bee Crafts
Super Stinky Boys
Type A Decorating
Under the Table and Dreaming
Whipperberry
Wildflowers and Whimsy
Young Nester

15 comments:

  1. This is such an awesome project that I will definitely be trying out! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog and am your newest follower. Thanks for the great tutorial. I love your blog name, by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I love this blog, too. Thanks for the great basket project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the basket tut!


    have a great day!

    I have a giveaway over at my blog!
    http://tootsiewootsieboutique.blogspot.com/2011/05/elloh-handmade-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea. You're one crafty lady!
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great tutorial. thanks for sharing this at my party!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it!!!

    I would love for you to come link up your post at my "Encouragement is Contagious!" linky party! And... please link up some of your other favorites from blogs you love! Then, those bloggers will also get lots of unexpected, encouraging comments!

    Blessings!
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are just awesome!! I'm going to try it with all the boxes I save (for some unknown reason)! Thank you so much for linking up and hope to see you next Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clever! I love that you are making something useful AND pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! What a great project! Fantastic for storage too! X

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks so much for the feature!!!!

    Niki www.sofreemecrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a great craft very pretty come visit me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this! I always need more storage and this makes the practical pretty. Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love cute & functional! Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete