Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Rag Ball Wreath Tutorial

I adore rag balls. I have no idea why. Maybe it's the simplicity of them, as well as being able to use up fabric strips. They're also fun to make. Simply tear long strips of fabric and roll them up into balls. (It's an easy craft to do while watching TV). If you want bigger rag balls, wad up some of remnant fabric pieces and wrap longer fabric strips around them. Some people put little styrofoam balls inside their rag balls. I prefer the more natural look, so I wad!

I want to make a rag garland for Christmas, but until then, I decided to string together a garland of sorts, yet put in in wreath form.

I cut up a couple cardboard forms from a cracker box.


Then I put them together to make it stronger. I also put a little tape along a couple of the sides to hold the two pieces together better.


I strung my rag balls onto some twine. Before doing so, I also did some stitching on the balls so they wouldn't unravel. I'm paranoid about that! Nothing like putting a rag ball project together, and the balls start unraveling. Eeks!


I wrapped my cardboard form with matching fabric - just like I did for my Funky Fabric Wreath.


I placed my rag ball "garland" onto the fabric covered wreath form and tied them together with twine.


Then I snipped the excess twine strings and put a matching fabric strip in the middle to hang it up. (That fabric strip is actually the front part of a button up dress. I used one of the button holes to hang on to a nail on the wall).


It's a little lopsided, though. It adds to the homespun quaintness of it, but I think next time, I'm going to use a stronger wreath form so it won't sag under the weight of the rag balls. In fact, I might even use a straw or other kind of wreath form and put a whole bunch of different size rag balls on it. I have a ton of them all wrapped up, itching to be used in something!

Linking up to my link party:


and these fun link parties: Free For All Fridays at Sassy Sites, and

Transformation ThursdaySAS Interiors

The Girl Creative Keeping It Simple
Making

LINKPARTYBUTTON
Cherished BlissShow and Tell Green

http://www.thethriftyhome.comNightOwlCraftinglil luna link party button
Beyond The Picket Fence

Party Button
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

30 comments:

  1. very cute! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea. You could also use some of those rag balls for vase fillers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is adorable! So many cute wreath ideas out there (and this is one of them!) that my head is spinning!
    Oh and thanks for the invite to your link party... I'll be there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool. My house isn't "country" but it has a "vintage" hint... and I'm thinking that I could make this work if I choose the right fabric for my decor.
    What a great idea.
    THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much, ladies!

    Netta - you've given me an idea to do a vintage rag ball wreath. It'd be cool to add some lace and various vintage charm embellishments. I better start shopping for some of those items. :)

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it!!! I go crazy over anything denim....out of all the wreaths floating around blog world, yours is right up near the top on my favorites list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute! You make the cutest things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this project! And the fabrics you used are so cute! Thanks for linking up with me for Friday Favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute! I never would have guessed it would end up looking the way it does! Cute blog too!

    I'm a new follower from the Creative Bloggers' Hop! Hope you can hop by my blog too!

    http://stylendecordeals.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! I have plenty of rags, and might just try this out!

    I would love if you came over and linked this project to my weekly Round Tuit party at:
    http://jembellish.blogspot.com/
    Have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think a rag ball garland would be cutesy too! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Using the Ritz box is so ingeniuous! Your wreath looks lovely :) Thanks for sharing at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm with Netta. This is a style that is adaptable to any kind of decor. Good tutorial. Thanks.

    I found you at Terrific Under Ten.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it!! I've been looking for something new to put on my front door for Spring and this would be perfect. Thanks for sharing!
    ~Cindy~

    ReplyDelete
  15. soooo cute!!!

    I would love for you to link up at my party!

    http://www.cherishedbliss.com/2011/04/craft-and-tell-tuesdays-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. very pretty,i love wreaths this one is very unique. great job. thanks for partying at Type A!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a fantastic tutorial! :)
    LOVE it!

    I'm your newest follower!

    Christy
    www.scrappy2010ramblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love those sit in front of the tv crafts. I love rag balls myself. Great job on your fun wreath! Thanks so much for linking up to Terrific Under Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love that Blue! Great job!

    Cara

    http://miscellaneousme.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey! You did it again and got yourself a feature. Thanks for linking up with my Show and Share party. http://craftygeordi.blogspot.com/2011/04/show-and-share-showoffs-15.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. very sweet...thanks for the tutorial!

    Thanks for linking up to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. So cute! Thanks for lining up to Make Something Mondays! Can't wait to see what you've made this week!

    ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  23. I need one of these for my daughters room! That is so cute! Thanks for sharing, see you again this Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great idea to use up all those scrap fabrics!

    Thanks for linking to Creative Juice. Hope to see you back again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very cool!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie!
    AllieMakes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow I'm a big fan! what a great idea for a wreath.

    kathryn @
    thedragonsfairytail.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete