Thursday, March 24, 2011

Cardboard Wall Art

From this

to this



in just a few easy steps!

So, what do you need for this cardboard wall art craft project? Some cardboard, naturally! I had a pizza stone box lying around, so I used that as part of my canvas. I painted one side with every intention of doing the dry brush painting that I did on some of the squares, but I totally forgot. But that's okay. I might just go ahead and do this technique for the other side, only using different colors.

Anyhoo, I cut up bits of cardboard into various sized squares, with some right angle triangles thrown in.


I painted the little cardboard cut outs various colors. I did a lot of experimenting around, doing splotches of colors here and there, and then when the brush was almost dry, going over other squares that had dried to get that really cool "weathered" effect.

When all my little cardboard pieces (don't they look like wood all painted up?!) dried, I got out my trusty Mod Podge and glued the pieces onto the pizza box. I also used some of Tim Holtz's scrapbook paper to add some interesting dimension. I even glued one little piece of painted cardboard on top of two others. I think I'll do more of that next time.


Also, I didn't line up the cardboard squares perfectly along the edges of the pizza stone box. I liked having some of them hanging over a bit to add even more interest. I can't wait to try another one!!

And voila, my little tres chic artsy fartsy piece. Ssshhhh, don't tell anyone it's just a cardboard wall art craft project!

My son said some of the scrapbooking pieces look a little industrial - like metal. Hmmmm...that got me thinking...I'd like to try this using an old cookie sheet as my "canvas" and then tying on with twine (or gluing) some nuts and bolts and make it industrial art. How cool!!

Entering the
Visit thecsiproject.com

Linking up to my link parties:


And these fab link parties: Sassy Sites Free For All Friday, Thirty Handmade Days, Today's Creative Blog,
and
SAS Interiors
giveawaysTransformation Thursday
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
Spunky Junky
PhotobucketUndertheTableandDreaminghandmade projects Photobucket Keeping It Simple
Making
LINKPARTYBUTTONPhotobucket




And linking up to a Delightfully Decoupaged Party

24 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I really like this ART!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi stopping by from Friday blog hop
    That is cool I like that idea.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThisanThatBoutique
    http://thisnthatboutiqueblog.blogspot.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/Thisnthatboutiquefans

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love upcycling!! Great project!! Stopping by from the girl creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful idea, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. cute!

    Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hiya , way to go with your green wall art i love it x tfs
    xmaggiex

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab! I love it, the colors are great! Ii have done quite a few projects with old cardboard boxes- so fun!

    Kim
    www.kim-toomuchtimeonmyhands.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, ladies! I wasn't sure how well people would like this. So glad some of you do. :) Plus, you can always do this project to suit *your* tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow!!! what a difference! i love it

    http://www.creatingreallyawesomefreethings.com/2011/04/making-monday-marvelous-49.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:%20blogspot/XZIo%20(C.R.A.F.T.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great work of art! You did a fantastic job - it's very effective!

    I would love if you came over and linked this project to my weekly Round Tuit party at:
    http://jembellish.blogspot.com/
    Have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

    ReplyDelete
  11. So creative & thrifty!! Happy to see all your creative ideas linked up last week at my K.I.S.S. blog bash. Looking forward to seeing what great project you share this week, remember the link is open until Tuesday @ midnight {CST}.

    Drop by The Tattered Tag

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wouldn't have known it was a pizza box. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love recycled art, great job. thank for sharing this at my party!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that you used something so unexpected to create your art piece with!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your crafted wall art looks fab. Thanks for sharing this at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop. Btw, I'm following you now :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super cool. Thanks so much for linking up to Terrific Under Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very neat-plus, we eat a lot of pizza! Following you now from thrilling thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now that's recycling, from the garbage to wall art! Thanks for sharing Tracy! Deb

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very cool art! So creative, thanks for linking this week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Who needs to buy canvas when we all have cardboard in our kitchens???

    Thanks for sharing this at Creative Juice. Hope to see you back again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. this is impressive that you made this from cardboard! Would love to have you come share at Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings. www.ladybug-blessings.com

    ReplyDelete