Thursday, March 10, 2011

How to Make Burlap Frames - Without any Wood




I really like this last one. Gives me a giggle when it says "5% Cookie 95% Rum."

I'm in a wood challenged household, i.e., I don't have access to craft supply stores, and I tend to be very frugal. I love the look of burlap and old fashioned prim decor, so I thought of making some burlap frames. Ah...but no wood. No problem because as some of you who have seen my other tutorials know, I sure like to use up cardboard and packaging that food comes in.


For each picture, I cut out two pieces of out of heavy cardboard - one for the frame and one for the backing. Then I cut out "cardstock" from food packaging. This is what I glued the old fashioned pictures onto.

I wrapped strips of burlap around my cardboard frames, using mod podge to glue where I began and ended each strip. Then I painted the back of heavy cardboard, which acts as the back of the frame. (As you can see, I later snipped off the corners to make it easier to adhere to the burlap).


I also glued my old fashioned pictures onto their respective cardstock that I created for them. After everything was dried, I glued my cardstock (with picture) on to the back of the heavy cardboard frame I created. Once that was dry, I mod podged the frame back to my burlap frame. To make sure it adhered to each other while they dried, I clamped a bunch of clothespins all over.


As you can see in the very first picture, one frame (lower right) is darker than the others. I used a very watered down black paint and gave it a "wash" over the frame - making it look slightly older. When I have time, I'd love to try other watered down colors to see how they would look with burlap.

Additionally, since burlap is interesting on its own, you can leave as is, or add all kinds of embellishments to it, such as ribbons, raffia, flowers, buttons, etc. My next burlap frame is going to have some of my ragged fabric flowers glued to them.

Linking up to the following awesome parties: Today's Creative Blog, The Willow House Blog, Passionately Artistic and
linkpartySpunky Junky
Punkin Seed Productions
SAS Interiors UndertheTableandDreaming
Photobucket
handmade projects
Keeping It Simple The Girl Creative
Sumo's Sweet StuffPhotobucket

http://www.thethriftyhome.comNightOwlCrafting
giveawaysBeyond The Picket Fence

35 comments:

  1. Very nice, and so much easier to come across some cardboard then wood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A girl after my own heart! I love this idea Tracy and think the frames turned out awesome. Using items that we normally throw away makes my heart sing knowing we are helping save the earth~one craft project at a time!
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm commenting right now with a smile on my face because who would have thought to use a cardboard? And still you made the picture frames unique and so beautiful. I am sooo following you now.

    Btw, thank you for joining in the Swap Followings Linky Party and making the blog party a success :) Hope you'll link up again next month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm super impressed with your ingenuity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all so much! I almost didn't go through with the project because at first it just wasn't coming out the way I envisioned it. Glad I kept at it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are darling! I want one?? Where do you get the burlap? Love the Rum Balls too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute idea! And most of us already have all the supplies in the house and ready to go! It would even be fun to add a little burlap flower to the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mommy Mambo - I got my burlap at Hobby Lobby. They have different colors, too! I bought some red as well and will wait until they have that 40% off sale to get some more yardage.

    Lisa - Oh, a burlap flower would be very cute! Maybe even in a different burlap color. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, these are SO cute! Love this idea. Printing the instructions as we speak! Thanks so much for stopping by Man Wife and Dog blog!! ; - )

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this for many reasons. The fact that you used cardboard (i do that all the time), Burlap!!!! Love, love!!!
    So great!
    ladeedacreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. very cool idea! And cheap, that's always a plus! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They turned out great, and I agree...a burlap flower would be a great finishing touch. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh these are adorable!! Love the idea thanks for sharing!! have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. very pretty. they go great with the pictures.

    megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Saw you at craftomaniac. These are great frames, I love that you can recycle cardboard for it and not have to even have bought a frame!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for the comments, fellow crafters! I really appreciate it. :)

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Came over from CraftOManiac. These are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. great tutorial! thanks for sharing and for finding/following me. I'm following you back.

    ReplyDelete
  19. awesome idea!! following you now!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So nifty thrifty..gotta love burlap!! :) Thanks for linking to my blog bash K.I.S.S.

    Drop by The Tattered Tag

    ReplyDelete
  21. Burlap is my favorite new thing to work with. I love your new frames and how you used cardboard as your base. Thanks so much for linking up to Terrific Under Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your burlap frames...very prim and rustic looking!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks great! I am always looking for new things to do with all those picture frames I have! Visiting from Get Your Craft On and I am a new follower!
    Have a great day!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you all so much!!

    Tina - I actually made the tutorial just for your link party, but I didn't see that you had one this week. Hopefully next week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome idea! I am very partial to burlap these days, lol! I would love for you to come link up at my Tutorial Tuesday party over at The Little Birdie. We have lots of moms who love crafts just like this one! {although possibly less obsessed with burlap than I am, haha!}

    Here's the link to the party:
    http://littlebirdiebaby.blogspot.com/2011/03/tutorial-tuesday-dressed-up-hand-towels.html

    I hope to see you there! I found you through "Hoo's Got Talent" and I'm a new follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. this is just so cute, luv it.
    would luv for you to add it to our linking party this week.
    http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/03/orange-blossoms-with-linking-party.html
    Thanks
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  27. what a great idea! I <3 burlap :)


    Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. i love burlap! thanks for linking up! I look forward to seeing you this week again!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi!! Great idea love it. I am following you nOw, wud love a follow back.
    SkD!
    http://my-handicrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anything with burlap is always a winner! Love how you put this together too - I'll be highlighting your project this weekend - please stop over and grab a feature button. I hope you'll join in again and enter my giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  31. these are so cute! I love the texture of these frames. thanks for linking up with my Show and Share party.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm so thrilled that these humble little frames are getting such a wonderful reception from y'all! Thanks so much. :)

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow! So Cute! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete