Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Glass Bottle Art

I've been smitten by glass bottle art for quite some time and decided to try my hand at it, thanks to an awesome teacher, Zinnia from Roses on My Table. Many of you are familiar with the art of decoupage, but I wasn't until the class.



As many of you decoupagers know, you can get all kinds of funky textures with a little Mod Podge and things such as tissue paper, tin foil, newspapers, etc. For those who are new to decoupaging, it's really simple. Scrunch up some tissue paper and tear into little pieces. Then glue those pieces onto your glass jar (or whatever you're trying to decorate) with Mod Podge.

Make sure your mod podge layer is completely dry before painting over it! I forgot to take pictures until I started the paint process, so that's why it's half painted.

The jar above is actually an old Planter's Peanuts jar that had some grooves in it. They still show through a little bit, despite going heavy on the tissue paper layering. I did a funky little thing with this jar, brushing lots of different colors on it.

The beauty of this kind of glass bottle art is how you can make each bottle different. Here's one made to look old. You can either use some distress ink or dark paint diluted in water. (Dilute the distress ink in water, too. For some reason, at least on my bottle, there are no directions on how to use it. I found out the hard way you need to dilute it).

I really like this "peachy keen" jar. It's all cheery and it's an older style glass jar, so it looks a little different.

Here's one with a fabric heart embellishment I mod podged on.


And another one I recently did with some scrapbook squares.


Linking up to my link party:


Free For All Friday at Sassy Sites, and these fabulous link parties:
SAS InteriorsUndertheTableandDreaming
LINKPARTYBUTTON
Show and Tell Green

NightOwlCraftingBeyond The Picket Fence
Party Button
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
handmade projects
Keeping It Simple PhotobucketRunning with Glitter
Pink Hippo Party


Delightfully Decoupaged Party

14 comments:

  1. These are great. I love tissue paper and mod podge and you can't beat re-using something vs throwing it away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reduce/reuse/recycle project Tracy and love getting that modge podge all over everything! Thanks for the tut! Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I am stopping by from today's hops. I am a new follower. Great blog. I was just trying to think of a way to dress up some glass jars to use as displays for photographing my bracelets and pendants. Looks like I will be busting out the mod podge. Thanks for sharing. Blessings...
    Saved By Love Creations

    ReplyDelete
  4. so great!! thanks for sharing, LOVE it

    ReplyDelete
  5. very cool. thanks for sharing these at my party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That turned out VEERY COOL! Im your newest follower!

    I would LOVE to have you link up to my Whassup Wednesday Par-Tay! And I have a party button you can grab and put on your blog so your friends can come too:)



    If you are NOT already a Follower of Elements Interiors....HELLEEERRRR!

    Click that Google Follow button and YOU will be ENTERED in my

    "Its a SURPRISE!" GIVEAWAY to be announced EVERY MONDAY! Yeppers! You read it right,

    a Winner EVERY MONDAY!!! With GREAT Goodies you wont want to miss!!




    Hope to see ya at Whassup Wednesday!!!

    *ENTER LINKY PAR-TAY Here! *

    xoxokara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't Mod Podge just the best?! Great way to spruce of old jars. i love it!

    -Lindsay
    Delighted Momma

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found you at Sassy Sites Friday link party and how glad I did! I literally have a couple bags of jars that I have been saving for projects.... You have so many great ideas here that have inspired me to go get Mod Podging!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I forgot to ask how you got the party buttons so beautifully lined up and all the same size? I have tried so many ways and can't do it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So neat! I have a bunch of glass jars I could try this on! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool! Makes a nice little spot to hold some dried flowers, or even live flowers... Or other goodies! Thanks for linking to Fancy This Fridays!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tip for working with paper and modpodge on glass!

    Thanks for linking to Creative Juice Thursday. Hope to see you back again this week...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

    ReplyDelete